Blinds Vs Curtains: Which is energy efficient?
Want to make your living space energy efficient and confused between blinds or curtains? Grab a cup of coffee and just stick with this guide and we’ll help you get to grips with.
If you plan to cover your windows, the two most common options that first come to mind are blinds and curtains. In most cases, curtains win the battle. The reason is simple. Curtains come with an extensive range of colours, patterns & textures so it fairly easy to match to your home decor. But here, the debate is which is better of the two in terms of energy efficiency. So you will face a conundrum in picking which option unless you know how each of them works and the advantages/disadvantages of them.
We will help you choose the proper window attachment that is energy efficient and conventional for your home.
Before we begin with our main course, we would like to stop you for a while to let you know that our company offers both blinds and curtains installation services in Dubai and we can provide an individual quote as per your requirement.
Now, let’s get into it:
Blinds Vs Curtains Energy Efficiency
It’s very obvious why curtains are the first choice for window treatments. You get a vast range of colours, patterns, and textures in curtains so you can easily find one that matches your room’s interior decoration. You can give your room a refreshing touch with curtains. They are perfect for your room to give it a cosier and softer feel.
Curtains can also offer insulation by reducing or blocking the sunlight and keeping your room cool in summer and warm during the winter. They also have the ability to reduce the outside noise and make your room stable and peaceful especially if they are made up of heavier materials like woven fabrics
Advantages of Curtains
- the thick fabric of the curtains is perfect to reduce or block out natural lights
- it can also reduce outside noise from entering the room to a great extent
- you can choose from a broad range of colours and patterns
- very effective against sunlight especially in summers
- they are safer for children and pets compared to blinds
Disadvantages of Curtains
- It collects dust and dirt over a period of time and that can be a significant problem, especially for people suffering from allergies
- Even though they offer privacy & light control, they are not as effective as blinds when it comes to adjusting light penetration and privacy
- You may face difficulties in cleaning as most fabrics require professional cleaning. It will be expensive and time-consuming
- Most of the curtains are made with polyester and can show signs of fading after a few years
- Curtains have a limited lifespan when compared the blinds
- It may not be appropriate for all types of windows, especially those that are larger or smaller in size than standard dimensions.
They are the most popular alternative to curtains. Blinds are usually made up of vinyl, wood or aluminium and can easily fit on any type of window. The best thing about blinds is they don’t require so much attention and care, so you can spend your precious time on some important stuff rather than just fixing your window covering every so often.
With blinds, you can enhance your room environment by controlling the amount of light you want entering your room. Doing this will also help you in protecting your furniture from losing polish or colour.
Blinds that are made up of highly insulating materials (for example cellular or honeycomb shades) can be very energy efficient. They add a barrier of air between the window and the home’s interior that helps to decrease heat intake in the summer and heat loss in the winter.
Advantages of Blinds
- They are less demanding and don’t requireas much care and attention
- You will need less material to install blinds as compared tocurtains
- They usually have a more rigid surface so you can easily wipe off dust and dirt
- Blinds can block or reduce the light penetration depending on your selections.
- This can be handy when you haven’t had a good night’s sleep and would like to take a nap during the day
- When it comes to lifespan blinds can last up to a decade without any hassle
- These are excellent wintertime energy-efficient solutions
Disadvantages of Blinds
- Blinds don’t offer as much insulation as compared to other window coverings such as drapes or curtains, so they won’t be as efficient in temperature control. Therefore, it could result in higher energy bills
- Some blinds won’t be as successful in maintaining your privacy. For example, if they have slats for light and visibility to pass through, this could have an adverse effect on privacy. Other window treatments such as blackout curtains or shades are preferred for maintaining privacy
- You don’t get as many design options in blinds so it might be difficult to choose a blind, particularly one that matches your room theme
- Blinds can be more expensive than curtains. The price may vary on the type and material of course, but in general, for extra tall windows, curtains are cheaper.
- It can create sound when opened or closed which can be a little annoying
Now you are aware of the advantages and disadvantages of blinds and curtains. It’s up to you to decide which is more convenient for your home. Blinds or curtains each come with specific features and can be used for different purposes. We at Blinds&Curtains offer both curtain & blind installation services and also are happy to advise you in choosing the best solution for you. You can connect with us and our team will help you in decorating your room.